What is Fraxel Laser Rejuvenation?
Fraxel laser rejuvenation is used to smooth out fine lines, even out unwanted skin pigmentation or discolorations (age spots), reduce pore size, and improve overall skin tone and texture. It does this by making tiny injuries to the skin, each about one-tenth the diameter of a hair shaft, while leaving the tiny areas of skin between these injuries undamaged. The treated sections regenerate new collagen, (necessary for healthy, youthful-looking skin), a process that is helped along by the surrounding non-affected tissue.
Candidates for Fraxel Rejuvenation
- Sagging neck and/or face
- Pigmented lesions
- Age spots, sunspots
- Moderate to severe wrinkles
- Textural irregularities
- Lip lines
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
About the Procedure
Prior to the procedure, a topical anesthetic or numbing agent is applied to the skin. The treatment itself can take 20 to 40 minutes while tiny needles puncture the skin. The small puncture injuries allow new collagen to generate resulting in youthful-looking skin. Most patients experience redness, swelling, peeling, or flaking for a week or so. Depending on how aggressive the procedure was, some patients return to their normal activities the same day as treatment while others need 2 to 7 days to fully recover.
- Avoid sun for 4-6 weeks before treatment – tan skin cannot be treated.
Aftercare and Recovery
After the procedure, patients will be given specific instructions about what to expect after treatment and how to minimize side effects.
- Wear sunscreen SPF 30 or higher.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for 3 months.
- Apply cool compresses to the skin.
- Protect skin by wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
- The intensity and duration of redness and swelling will depend on how aggressive the treatment was, but normally lasts up to 1 week.
- Temporary side effects include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance.
- Recline in a face-up position at a 45-degree angle for at least one week.
- Facial skin typically starts to peel after a few days.
- Ladies may apply make-up after 1 to 4 days.
- Patients that are prone to cold sores should take an antiviral medication before treatment.
Abramson Facial Plastic Surgery & Rejuvenation Center uses innovative, state-of-the-art techniques and instruments to perform aesthetic procedures for patients throughout the Metro Atlanta, GA area. Call (404) 297-1789 today to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Abramson to determine if fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is right for you.