Some people are born with good cheekbones and don’t experience those age-related changes of “sunken cheeks,” or that hollow look in the mid-face, as quickly as those without good cheekbones. Cheek augmentation, also known as malar augmentation, is a procedure that raises the cheeks up to create a fresher, more refined, youthful appearance.
Over time, we all experience subtle changes such as loss of facial definition making us look tired and older. Depending on each patient’s unique needs, Dr. Abramson will select the most appropriate option to change the mid-face and cheek area.
Candidates for Cheek Augmentation
To determine whether or not a patient is a good candidate for cheek augmentation, Dr. Abramson carefully studies a patient’s facial features. Patients that are interested in cheek augmentation generally want to correct one or more of the following:
- Hollow cheeks
- Lack of definition
- Lack of symmetry
- Correct facial deformities resulting from injury or congenital condition
About the Procedure
To improve the overall appearance of the cheek area, Dr. Abramson may recommend facial fillers and injectables, a mid-face lift, or synthetic cheek implants as follows:
- Sculptra: Sculptra is a facial filler that provides instant, long lasting fullness in the cheek area and is prefect for patients who do not want to have surgery. This non-invasive option produces minimal discomfort and reverses the signs of “facial wasting.”
- Mid-Facelift: which lifts the malar/cheek area
- Cheek Implants: which are synthetic materials that augment the cheek bone, offering recontouring of the cheek area
cheek augmentation procedure will proceed as follows:
- You will be draped and your face will be thoroughly cleaned with antiseptic solution.
- You will be given a mild sedative, and your cheeks and gums will be anesthetized.
- Incisions will be made inside the mouth between the upper gums and the cheek.
- A pocket will be made in the tissue over the cheekbone, where the implant will be slipped into place.
The cheek implant procedure can also be done along with other facial rejuvenation procedures, such as chin implant procedures or nose reshaping (rhinoplasty).
Prior to a cheek augmentation procedure, Dr. Abramson recommends that patients adhere to standard pre-op guidelines to allow for patient safety and maximum post-op results as follows:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients.
- DO NOT smoke in the weeks surrounding the procedure.
- DO NOT take pain medication containing aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Provide Dr. Abramson with a list of any medications that are taken regularly.
- DO NOT eat or drink after midnight the night before the procedure.
- DO NOT wear makeup or contact lenses to surgery.
- Patients must have a friend or relative drive them to and form the procedure.
Aftercare and Recovery
Because cheek augmentation is considered to be an outpatient procedure, patients can begin the recovery process in the comfort of their own home the same day as surgery. After the procedure, patients may experience mild to moderate discomfort for up to 2 days. If pain is present it can easily be controlled with over-the-counter medication. Swelling and bruising is normal, and does go away in a matter of weeks. Ice packs should be used to help reduce swelling.
Most patients are able to return to work within 5-7 days, but must avoid rigorous activity and contact to the implant area for 4-6 weeks. As the swelling and bruising diminishes, and the supportive tissues in the cheeks form around the implants, patients will gradually see the new contour in the face.
Abramson Facial Plastic Surgery & Rejuvenation Center uses innovative, state-of-the-art techniques and instruments to perform cheek enhancement and other aesthetic procedures for patients throughout the Metro Atlanta, GA area. Call 404/297-1789 today to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Abramson to determine if a cheek enhancement procedure is right for you.